Thursday 21 April 2022

Chapter Ten: Still Family

 It was the first time Ellis had brought his kids to a meeting. He’d told them what to expect, and made an effort to explain why it was so important. Piper had come in her usual jeans and jacket. Gigi had dressed up, excited to see a new place. Everyone had been welcoming. When Gigi had seen the other kids her age all raising their hand to answer, she immediately wanted to do the same.

The story of Joseph has many lessons for us.” The speaker said from the stage. “He sets a good example for us, when he outright fled from immorality, even when his master’s wife tried repeatedly to seduce him.”

Piper gave her father a hooded sideways look.

He provided a fine example of patience, trusting in God through years of unjust imprisonment. He showed such mercy when he forgave his brothers, after decades apart. He had ample reason to seek revenge, but chose to rise above it out of love and forgiveness.”

Ellis gave Piper a sideways look.

But the most important lesson that we’re taking for today’s talk, is that both these ‘defining moments’ in Joseph’s life happened for the same reason.” The Speaker continued warmly. “Because he was walking by faith. He saw his life as something to be proud of; not because of power and wealth, but because he had found his role in God’s purpose. We know this, because years later, when Jacob died, Joseph confirmed his forgiveness of his brothers. Read with me at Genesis 50: 19, 20.”

Ellis held out his device to show his daughter the verse. “Joseph said to them: “Do not be afraid. Am I in the place of God? Although you meant to harm me, God intended it to turn out well and to preserve many people alive, as he is doing today”.”

The Speaker set his Bible down. “Joseph viewed Jehovah as the perfect judge. He saw that Jehovah had a perfect opportunity to punish his brothers before they got anywhere near Egypt, but God had promised Abraham that his descendants would become a mighty nation; and He saw that the brothers were now honest men.” His tone changed as the talk came it’s conclusion. “Brothers, it can be hard to ‘flee from immorality’. It can be hard to ‘freely forgive one another’, especially if we have a legitimate reason for anger. But whatever else happens, we have our own part to play in Jehovah’s purpose for the Earth, and we don’t want anything to distract from that. Because we know as Joseph did, that it will all ‘turn out well’.”

~/*\~

Piper had come along because it was their night with their father, and it only happened a few times a week. But she was bored by the whole thing. She hadn’t expected such a welcome from so many people, nor had she expected half the things that happened during the program, but it was clear that she was only there for Gigi’s sake.

Eleanor and Del had come over to greet them once the meeting was over. Their son Jacen was near Gigi’s age, and the two of them had spoken barely three words to each other before becoming best friends. Five words, before Jacen gave her a hug, and Gigi giggled, hugging back.

It’s so easy when you’re that small, isn’t it?” Piper observed.

It is.” Eleanor nodded, noting the jealous tone. “I don’t know where we lose that, but I think the world would be a better place if we all made friends like the little kids do.”

Piper shook her head. “I don’t know how much of it she understood. She was so excited, waving her hand in the air to give a one word answer. She was all dressed up this afternoon, bouncing in her socks, waiting at the door for dad to come get us for the meeting. It freaked mom out, how much she wanted to go. Church isn’t really something our family spent much time on.”

Eleanor nodded. “Mm. He was nervous about inviting you. Ellis tells me that your sister loves the Bible Stories he reads to her when they stay at your place.”

She likes the animal pictures in the storybook. She likes that daddy’s reading her bedtime stories again.” Piper’s face turned to stone as she suddenly realized what Eleanor had just said. “You and my father are… friends?”

Eleanor smiled softly, understanding her worry swiftly. “My husband and I are the ones your father studies with. We’re the ones who first invited him along. It’s become important to him, Piper. He wants to share it with his daughters.”

Piper sighed. “It’s our day with Dad. Gotta admit, I spend few nights a week with my dad, however uncomfortable… Would you think less of me for saying I didn’t want to spend it here?”

Eleanor chuckled. “Was it that objectionable?”

Nothing against any of you. In fact, It’s better than most churches I’ve been to, if only because the audience gets involved. I’ve never seen a ‘question and answer’ setting in a Church before.” She jerked her thumb at the stage. “Usually, the guy in charge tells you what he thinks, and everyone says ‘amen’ when he tells them to.”

That was my reaction too.” Eleanor agreed. She hesitated for a second before speaking again. “Your father really is trying, Piper. Coming to meetings? Sharing it with you? It’s a way of keeping himself honest. You’re worried it’s a reaction to the split with your mom; and will fade quickly. He’s worried about the same thing.”

Piper realized, suddenly mortified. “Ohmigod, he’s told you everything, hasn’t he?”

Eleanor smiled at her chagrin. “He’s our friend. He matters to us. That means you matter to us. Certainly, you matter to God. You wonder how much Gigi understood. She knows her father cares. I mean, isn’t that the whole point of any religion? Compared to God, we’re all infants, messing up constantly, but our Father still loves us?”

Piper made no answer to that.

~/*\~

Did you know what the subject of the talk was going to be?” Piper asked him finally. Gigi had been put down for a nap, and the two of them had a measure of privacy. Piper hadn’t been let out to a party since the night her father had taken her home.

No.” He assured her. “I wasn’t trying to guilt you, or teach you a lesson.” He sighed. “I’ve discovered that literally everything in the world is depressing. Those meetings are… different. So sue me if I want to share them with my daughter.”

Part of me wonders if you’re trying to turn the tables on us.” Piper admitted. “Cast yourself as the reformed sinner, so that it was on us to forgive you and take you back.”

You aren’t the villain if you don’t forgive me, Piper.” He said patiently. “As much as I would like you to. But… Do I have to be the villain forever?”

That sermon today? Joseph forgave his brothers, because he figured it was part of ‘God’s Plan’. Somehow, I don’t think you can say the same about our thing.” She waved a hand. “Why can’t I just be angry over something bad?”

You can. Do you want to?” He asked, scared of the answer. “I’m still the only father you’ll ever have. Do you hope to be mad at me forever?”

Maybe I should.”

Why?”

Because it matters who started it!” Piper snapped.

He stared. “I don’t know what that means.”

She scowled. “In school, there’s this kid. Nerdy kid, overweight. Bully magnet. He gets beat up, spat on, humiliated. It happens constantly. Last week, he finally snapped and started screaming abuse back at his tormentor. The teachers stormed over, pulled them apart, and demanded they both apologize and shake hands or she’ll suspend them both.” Piper scoffed. “Me, Lyssa, and at least five other kids all tried to set the stupid woman straight and tell her what was going on. And then-”

And then the teacher said it ‘didn’t matter who started it’.” He finished for her.

A punching bag doesn’t apologize to the boxer, but the bully gets an apology from his victim. The victim is reminded that the ‘right thing to do’ is just take the abuse forever. Because it’s easier to say ‘it doesn’t matter who started it’ than it is to actually figure out who did the wrong thing and make it stop.” Piper spat, and then she looked up at him. “You started it, dad.”

Yes, I did.” He nodded. “And I hate that about myself.”

So why do I have to be the bigger person?”

Have I asked you to take any responsibility?” He pointed out. “Have I tried to blame you or your mother? Even once?”

No.” She admitted, gesturing at the Bible on the table. “But saying you’ve changed, and you’re atoning, and you’re… isn’t that the same thing? Because it’s up to me and mom to forgive you now, and she’s still bleeding from this.”

He winced, feeling the spike hit his gut again. “I know.”

Piper gestured at his Bible again. “Do you think Joseph would have forgiven his brothers if they’d shown up while he was still in Prison?”

Ellis considered that. “Interesting idea. What do you think?”

I think it’s easier to be gracious when you’ve got all the power. I think if you’re generous and giving when you have no choice in the matter, it’s more like being mugged.”

He sighed. “Is it so hard to imagine that I might genuinely regret the worst thing I ever did to the people I love the most?”

No.” She admitted. “But is it so hard to imagine that it’s easier to be angry than it is to forgive?”

You don’t have to be fine with my sins in order to forgive me.” He promised. “That’s more or less how God views my mistakes too. He’s just been doing this a lot longer, and He’s better at it.”

He’d have to be.” Piper groused. “Have you seen the world lately? How’s He supposed to take any of us back?”

Same way I’m hoping you’ll take me back.” Ellis said. “Love.”

~/*\~

Piper came to one or two more meetings. Gigi had made friends with some of the smaller kids and joined Ellis for some congregation picnics, happy to have more people her own age about.

Ellis’ reputation had been restored on sites. Nobody offered ‘bonuses’ anymore.

Then, one day, there was a knock on his door, and his past came calling. It was Darrel. He was fiddling with a cigarette between his fingers. His shoulders were hunched. Something had happened.

Ellis. There’s something we need to discuss.” Darrel said seriously. “Can I come in?”

~/*\~

Jerrold tells me that the Sentinel is asking questions.” Darrel puffed on his cigarette. “And the press are on it because the DA is on it!”

What do you think they’re going to find?” Ellis said dully. “After all, it’s just a shade of grey area? Doesn’t everyone do it?”

Darrel ignored that. “I’ve been asked to give testimony. The cops are investigating… some business I was in with some friends.”

Friends?” Ellis scoffed. “What are you coming here for?”

Look, we need to get our stories straight. If we go to them together, and give them our story…”

Ellis held up a hand. “Wait. Our story?! Leave me out of this. I don’t know what business you were in-”

I know you got all ‘high and mighty’ the last few months, but you’re in this too.” Darrel warned him. “An investigation leads to everything. You get that? Every ‘bonus’ you’ve ever taken, the interview with Jerrold. You’re on the line here.”

He’s right. Ellis thought, and felt his stomach start tying in knots. “What do you want me to do?”

I've been going over the books.” Darrel explained. “Most of what we’re into is easily explained. The rest is just paperwork. They’re looking into hiring practices and assignments. They’re looking into payroll for the last four years and-”

Four years?” Ellis reacted. “That’s why you came to me?! Because you need me to be your alibi for the years I worked for you?!”

It’s not just me.” He warned. “I’m willing to cover for you, too. I have an appointment to go into the eleventh precinct tomorrow, and if we have our stories straight, then we’re covered.”

Ellis felt heat bloom in his face, his neck, right down his back. “This is getting real.”

It’s going to be fine.” Darrel assured him. “We just have to be prepared.”

...No.” Ellis caught himself. “No, I don’t want to be part of this!”

You’re already part of this.” Darrel snapped. “You never would have gotten that job without Jerrold’s help. The only way to save yourself is to be smart now.”

Ellis stared at him.

Accepting bribes is a crime. Even if you don’t get charged, they’ll kick you out of the Council Office. You’d never work again if you got caught accepting bribes.” Darrel warned him. “And if they decide you’re more involved than you obviously seem to think you are…”

How did this happen?

Darrel saw his expression and his face changed, becoming softer, more personal. “Look, nobody wants to point fingers here. We’re going to get through this, but only if we support each other. We break under pressure, and we’re finished. I can protect you, but only if we present a united front.”

Ellis stared at him. “I can’t.”

You have to.” Darrel said gently.

~/*\~

Darrel took him through ‘the official story’ three times, and then walked him through the probable questions that might be asked in an interview with the Law.

He knew all the tricks.” Ellis said to Del later that night. “I asked him how many times he’d been interrogated by the cops, and apparently it’s a first, but he ‘had friends who knew how to play the game’.”

Del let out a breath. “This is real, isn’t it?

Darrel was right when he said I could save him. We can answer all the ‘irregularities’ if we stick together. We can put the blame on Jerrold.” Ellis sighed. “The DA is investigating Darrel, and his business interests. I’m a connection between the Company, and the Inspector’s Office.”

You think our old Boss is looking to sacrifice you to save himself, or sacrifice Jerrold by using you?”

Either is possible, no matter what he says.”

We knew it would happen sooner or later.” Del scoffed. “If you listen carefully, you can hear paper shredders lining up for the start of the race.”

It’s getting real thick, real fast, isn’t it?” Ellis felt nauseous. “Is it hot in here?”

Del looked at him sympathetically. “So. What are you going to do?”

Ellis looked sick. “I can’t do it again. I spent my life letting things slide, and I can’t anymore.” He rubbed his eyes. “And I can’t throw Jerrold under the bus to save Darrel. Especially if the cops are asking the question.”

Del nodded, sympathetic. “It’ll be hard. Hardest thing you’ve ever done, perhaps.”

Darrel wants me to go in with him, to offer testimony.” Ellis said. “I want to go in first, and tell them the truth. Except I don’t even know who to confess to.” He had a sudden brainwave. “Wait. I know who to ask.”

~/*\~

Ellis went home, and searched his clothes. He had to hunt through many pockets to find the business card. But there it was, with Archie Farnham’s number.

Sentinel. Farnham speaking.”

Mister Farnham, my name is Ellis. You approached me about an investigation into a connection between the City Council’s Inspector’s Office and some locked up crook named ‘Grant’?”

Oh yes, I remember.” Recognition changed his tone. “What can I do for you?”

Despite himself, Ellis had the strongest urge to hang up the phone. Repentance don’t protect you from consequences. He thought. If you do what Darrel is telling you, you’d all get away with everything. What will happen? Disgrace? Unemployment? Fines? Prison? You can get away with it, and ask God to forgive you later. He surely will…

Aloud, he went through with it. “I need to know who’s running that investigation. There’s… something they need to know.”

~/*\~

A day later, Ellis was somehow not surprised to find Del waiting for him when he emerged from the police station. “So? What’s the verdict?”

Farnham was helpful. He was actually in there. We spoke with the detectives; put each other in the loop on things. Turns out there was little need for me to testify at all.” Ellis admitted. “Everything I had to say, they knew already. I was never the focus of this investigation. Neither was Darrel, but if you have enough puzzle pieces, you eventually know what the picture is.” His hands were shaking a bit. “Darrel was expecting me to cover for him. When I told the cops I wasn’t going to, they laughed. They already had everything they needed in his case. If I’d done what he asked, the only thing I would have done was talked myself into a perjury charge, even if I played along.”

Del shook his head. “‘And the truth will set you free’. It’s not usually that literal.” He started walking Ellis back to his car. “What happens now?”

They’re not pressing charges. They aren’t after me. They aren’t even after Darrel. They’ll either squeeze him or Jerrold. Flip them to get evidence on someone worse.” Ellis sighed. “I’m told that happens fairly often when they’re digging out corruption cases. But it means Darrel will likely get away without jail time.”

After he’s ripped off half his customers.” Del scoffed.

Well, the cops don’t care too much about contractors padding a bill. It’s too… expected to be actionable. But the IRS will get into it. They always make time for little fish like us.” Ellis let out a breath between his teeth. “Depending on how things fall at the council, I could lose my job. I mean, I might be reformed, but repentance isn’t a time machine.” Ellis admitted. “My only hope of keeping the job is that nobody else cares any more than Jerrold did.”

Del scoffed. “Sounds about right.” He confessed. “If you ever need a reference, you should probably call me before either of them.”

You laugh, but it could very well come to that.” Ellis took a deep breath, feeling like he understood the whole world at last. “This is the world, isn’t it? It’s got the wrongdoing spread out so thin that nobody actually gets hit with the blame, or the consequences.”

Del nodded.

When Darrel first convinced me to go for this job, he convinced me that I was… worthy. He argued my value. As an employee, as a person… It very nearly made me cry. Nobody had taken a moment to tell me I was of value to them in years. My wife hadn’t said it since…” He glanced around. “Don’t tell anyone this part, but that waitress did the same. Convinced me that I had a choice, That I wasn’t just stuck where I was. Reminded me that I was of worth, as a provider, and as a man.”

Del nodded to show he was listening, no judgment on his face.

The thing is, the second it was over, she called me a cab and handed me my wedding ring. I know saying ‘it meant nothing’ is a lousy cliche, but I meant nothing to her.” He scoffed at himself in disgust. “I got in her car because it was the first time that night when I didn’t feel like I was ‘inconvenient’ to someone. I took the job because Darrel made me feel like I was worth something to the world. I was flat out jealous of Jerrold during the interview, because he seemed to have his life together so easily, so perfectly.”

And then the second something unexpected happens, they both dropped you like a live grenade.” Del nodded.

The world can make you feel wanted, but it’s hollow.” Ellis said. “I guess, on some level, I always knew that, even before I started studying. I remember when you left the company, they took less than ten hours to fill your job. We give our lives chasing money, promotion… For all the talk about how ‘nice guys finish last’, the bad ones don’t prosper for long either.” He sighed like he’d been holding his breath for a year. “I finally get it. We don’t see the world as it is. We see it as we are.” He looked hard at Del. “But that’s not what God sees.”

No.” Del agreed. “There are numerous instances in the Bible where God looked at fishermen or shepherd boys, or slaves, and saw Apostles, Prophets, World Leaders…”

God doesn’t see us as we are either, He sees what we can be under His rule.” Ellis murmured.

Right.” Del nodded. “But we’ve got to show that we want that too.”

Ellis closed his eyes for a moment, as if trying to memorize everything he was experiencing. His new thinking had been tested, tempted, and he had passed. “I’m ready now, Del. Tell brother Benedict that I’m ready to be baptized.”

I will.” Del smiled broadly. “And one day, I’ll remind you of this conversation. I wonder what God will have made of either of us by then.”



~/*\~ Lapis ~/*\~

There were many preparations to make, so that Joseph’s entire family could move from Canaan to Goshen. With a dozen brothers having made the journey to Egypt already, Lapis quickly got an idea of how many people and herds would be coming.

Simeon was still somewhat bewildered by their change of fortune. Nevertheless, he had spent more time in Egypt than the rest of them put together, so he was the main go-between for the move. Working with Lapis, he’d provided a list of who was likely to come, what they would bring with them, and where they would settle when they arrived.

What do you think of Goshen?” Lapis asked. “We’ve toured it, but you never said, one way or another. I understand not wanting to upset the new delicate balance with your brother, but-”

This land is more than abundant for our needs, Lapis.” Simeon assured him. “We’re shepherds. Something that Egypt has little use for, I understand.”

Our arable land follows the Nile. Our civilization follows the food and water supply. It would be inappropriate to set that land aside for grazing livestock.” Lapis looked over the papyrus lists. “This is truly everyone?”

All of my family, all of their family, all of our servants and householders.” Simeon confirmed. “You don’t approve?”

My approval is not required.” Lapis demurred. “But it’s not that I disagree. I’ve lived in this city all my life, and I cannot imagine living in such a way that you can move your whole home at once. Egyptians would never survive apart from the temples. There would be no hope for the next world without the tombs.” He looked awkwardly at Simeon. “My master worships only the God of his father. He has such authority over Egypt, but he has never commanded a temple to Jehovah be built.”

No, he wouldn’t. One day, we will have our own nation. Perhaps there will be a temple there. But in Egypt, Jehovah would have one temple among many gods. It would not be appropriate.” Simeon was sure. “For now, we have His works.”

Lapis’ head tilted. He’d discussed this with Joseph once or twice, but this was the first time he’d had the conversation with another believer in Jehovah. “His works?”

Every time the stars shine over the land, every time the rain nourishes our grasslands, every time we see animals at play, every child that is born… Egyptians believe that Temples are homes for their deities. How could a building hope to contain Jehovah?” Simeon smiled. “The world is His creation, and even when the world is struck by famine, Jehovah denies his people nothing that they need.”

Zaphenath-paneah believes as you do. That his whole life in Egypt was to ensure your household would not starve.” Lapis shuddered. “It would be a betrayal to my nation, and to my gods if I agreed, but I will admit that I can’t see any other explanation. How else could an imprisoned slave do all that he has done?”

Simeon shuddered. “Prophecy is such an awe inspiring thing. If he’d never told us his dream of being in power over us, we may never have turned on him. But if we’d treated him the way we should have treated a brother, he never would have come to Egypt at all.” He looked to Lapis. “Finding him here, alive. Finding that the prophecy which angered us so has come true anyway… It’s a shame we may never live down, and a stain of bloodguilt on our family that has finally been wiped clean after more than twenty years.” Tears shone on his face, not for the first time. “Jehovah God is so merciful. Glory be to His name that His servants can say the same.”

~/*\~

Lapis made a quick count of the convoy. Only seventy people, plus a few servants hired to help make the journey. Some of the camels were Egyptian bred, towing wagons full of supplies. All of Joseph’s brothers were present, sliding down from their camels. Benjamin was not immediately in view, until the wagons stopped. Benjamin stepped down, and raised his hands back to the covered wagon, helping a much older man step down.

Lapis and Simeon traded a glance, and Simeon nodded. Lapis moved swiftly to the side of the caravan. As the old man stepped down, taking in the view, Lapis was the first new face he saw.

Lapis bowed deeply to the patriarch. “My lord, Israel. I am yours to command. I am chief servant to Zaphenath-paneah, who has commanded that I provide your household with whatever you may need in Goshen, for as long as you need it. Zaphenath-paneah said he would be joining us as soon as he could. Affairs of State have him occupied for much of the morning; and he is ridding himself of those matters as swiftly as possible in his haste to see you.”

Jacob returned to the wagon, and drew a wrapped parcel. “I understand. When he does join us, I have something to give him.” He said, gazing across his new home. “You know that his name is Joseph.”

I do, sir.” Lapis acknowledged. “Pharaoh also declared him ‘Zaphenath-paneah’.” He took a breath. “This is not, of course, to disrespect his name, or the father that gave it to him, but-”

Fear not, young man. I am not offended.” The elder said easily. “After all, sometimes the name you are given at birth, and the name you are remembered by are not the same thing.” His tone was one of long experience.

Lapis wasn’t sure what he was thinking, but quickly moved to praise his son. “In our language, Zaphenath-paneah means ‘Revealer of Hidden Things’.”

This news made Jacob smile, but the smile was sad. “Yes. Hidden Things.”

Lapis didn’t fully understand his reaction. Perhaps he fears a resurgence of the feud between his sons? Eager to establish a good relationship, Lapis lowered his voice and spoke discreetly. “My lord made me aware of the details of his past, sir. Your son holds no malice towards his brothers. He considers his time in Egypt a direct act of the Gods.” He caught himself. “Of one God, I should say. Joseph foretold that he would rise to ascendancy over his brothers, and he has done so. Joseph foretold many, many things, and they have all come true.”

Joseph would say that the prophecy does not come from him.” Jacob reasoned. “His foresight is a gift from the God of our Ancestors.”

Lapis jumped, amazed at the thought. “Do you have the Sight as well?”

I know only what I was taught… but yes, Jehovah has given me some assurances as well.” Jacob said seriously. “Goshen is a beautiful place, and certainly one where my family will not have to fear starvation. But I was warned with Jehovah’s foresight, as was my son.”

Lapis took it seriously. “My lord, I am under command to serve all your needs. If there’s something wrong in Goshen, I have been granted discretion to make changes. If the waters are polluted, if the buildings are not equal to your requirements, if the food is not to your taste, please do let me know immediately.”

Jacob finally seemed to give Lapis his full attention. Lapis saw the resemblance between Jacob and Joseph as the old man smiled. He did not look on Lapis like any other man of privilege. He would never pass as an Egyptian. He wore the same sackcloth and sandals as his sons, and his face was aged with wisdom. He had a patriarchal bearing, almost as regal as Pharaoh. And right now, he looked as certain as Joseph ever did when interpreting a dream. “Lapis, our family was given a prophecy, many years ago: ‘Know for certain that your offspring will be foreigners in a land not theirs and that the people there will enslave them and afflict them for four hundred years’.” His tone was precise, every word given due gravity. He wasn’t rephrasing any of it.

Lapis looked over the caravan. “That’s hard to imagine.”

It’s a certainty.” Jacob said with certainty. “Enough that I was originally unwilling. Jehovah God spoke to me, and encouraged me to move my family to Goshen. Apparently, this is part of the purpose too. But I fear the Egyptians are destined to be our oppressors in many ways.”

(Author’s Note: The prophecy Jacob quotes here was given to Abram in Genesis 15:13. Scripture makes clear that Israel’s enslavement was the work of a new Pharaoh, who did not know Joseph, according to Exodus 1:8. Joseph died in 1657 BCE, and Israel went free in 1513 BCE, marking the end of that ‘affliction’. Under the subject of ‘Chronology’, the Insight Book says: ‘Counting back 400 years from the Exodus… would bring us to 1913 B.C.E., and at that time Isaac was about five years old. It appears that Isaac was weaned then and, already “an alien resident” in a land not his, he now experienced the start of the foretold affliction in the form of Ishmael’s “poking fun,” Ishmael being about 19.’

The traditional view was that the Hebrews were slaves in Egypt for 400 years, when in reality, it was less than a quarter of that.)

Lapis took that in, silent for a moment. “Impossible.” He declared profoundly.

Jacob laughed. “A word I vowed never to use again when I found out my son was alive, and saving the entire world from famine.”

Zaphenath-paneah has saved this Nation. Do you have any idea what seven years of famine would do to Egypt? It would cease to exist. It would lead to war, at best; and outright starvation of the whole nation at worst. The land deals that my master made have secured Pharaoh’s rulership for a full unending dynasty; and the people are grateful to him for it!” He actually bowed to the patriarch. “In the years I have known your son, he has asked only two things for himself: For the King’s Cupbearer to remember him, and for you to be looked after. I cannot imagine that Egypt would answer that kind of blessing from the sons of Israel with violence.”

Jacob smiled a little at Lapis. “I hope you are right. But if Joseph told you that a slave in prison would become Egypt’s second-in-command overnight, would you believe him?”

Lapis nearly swallowed his tongue.

Jacob nodded. “Ask yourself, young sir: Who’s prophecy would Zaphenath-paneah believe beyond doubt? Just recently, I shared this fear, and Jehovah commanded me to go to Goshen, where my descendants would become a mighty nation.”

~/*\~

Meanwhile, in the Palace, The High Priest was making predictions of his own. “My son, there’s something I want you to see.”

Potiphera’s son, barely a teenager, and only an acolyte, followed his father to the Shrine. When he saw the Royal Guards, he froze in the doorway. “Father! I thought the Shrine was only for-”

It is.” The High Priest soothed. “Raising the King to God-Incarnate has qualified him to attend at the Shrine of Ptah. He wanted to bring his son, to sanctify the Prince and Heir-Apparent.”

Does this mean the child will have full access to the Shrines as well?” His son wavered.

That’s why I wanted you to see this.” Potiphera said softly. “All of Zaphenath-paneah’s plans end in less than five years; with his self-proclaimed end of the Famine. By the end of this, every man, woman and child in Egypt will be the willing property of the Pharaoh. Doubtless, the Foreigner will remain a trusted advisor beyond that. But he won’t live forever. Pharaoh will teach his son to trust Joseph. But that boy will have a son of his own.” Potiphera gave his son a hard look. “And by then, you will be High Priest. That infant? He will bring his own grandson here one day, for your blessing.”

His son, still so young himself, but trained to think this way; felt his eyes widen. “What you’re talking about will take fifty years. At least. A century perhaps.”

One century to build.” Potiphera warned. “But it will last forever. The only place in Egypt to receive a proper education is here in the Temples. Pharaoh will doubtless require his son to be well trained for his future role. As will his son, and his grandson. We’ve crafted a dynasty of Gods, my son. And all gods of Egypt speak through the Priests.”

His son nodded, awed by the scale of his father’s plan. “And Joseph?”

Is just a man.” Potiphera said, unconcerned. “I’ve taken steps to counter his actions, and I have failed. So we must change our strategy. Taking the long view is something we are uniquely suited for. Men cannot think in terms of centuries. Only gods can do that. And Jehovah will not rule over Egypt. By the time you take my place, Joseph will be gone; and the new Pharaoh will be seated at your feet, eager to learn how to carry out his role, and be a God-Incarnate…”

(Author’s Note: Heredity was the source of new recruits in Egyptian temples. Rarely did outsiders get invited. Each temple was dedicated to a god, and each had its own High Priest; several of which were government officials. Since the titles were hereditary, the priests often made alliances with family members. Balances of power shifted often in Ancient Egypt. As part of the plot for this story, I have penned an origin of that. When it happened in real history is a matter of some debate, given how long ago it was, and how long the Egyptian Dynasties lasted. I have written the policy of the Temple's total authority over the nation to be a reaction to Joseph. It could have happened long before Joseph got there, or long after Israel left.)

At the Shrine, Pharaoh lifted his son before the idol of a Golden Bull, as the acolytes began their ritual chants and songs around him.

Potiphera smiled at the sight, content in his eventual triumph. “Time is always on our side. After all, there are only seventy of them. One family against all Egypt? We’ll have our victory over Jehovah and his servants, my son. It’s a certainty.”

~/*\~

Miles away, unaware of all of this, Jacob smiled at Lapis. “Fear not, young man. Recent events have shown that foretelling the future is a complicated process. Joseph is proof of that. His Dream came to pass in the most unexpected of ways. No doubt, the words I was taught will do the same. And all the promises of Jehovah lead to a perfect world eventually.”

Lapis shivered. “I hope so. I hope… I hope that history remembers that I tried to do the right thing, eventually. In favor of that perfect world.”

I wonder if anyone will remember any of us in a hundred years.” Jacob shook it off. “But that’s for another day. Please, show me my new home. I have much to thank Jehovah for this day, and surely more to come tomorrow.”

Lapis hesitated. “My lord, Israel?” He said finally. “Your sons tell me that you make altars to Jehovah, to make offerings and give thanks for His blessings. If you plan to do that to celebrate your settlement in Goshen, I would like to contribute some livestock. Something that would make an appropriate offering.”

Jacob looked at him with a smile. “Oh?”

Lapis nodded. “This is Egypt. We are always aware of our duty to the gods. But there are no Temples to Jehovah here, and I have to admit, I owe my life to Him, as much as Joseph does.”

Sounds like you have quite a story also, Lapis. I look forward to… What’s that?”

Lapis followed his gaze. There was a cloud of dust moving towards them at full speed. Lapis recognized a war chariot, faster than any other kind. Only one, coming to them faster than was entirely safe. “Your son approaches.”

Oh, good.” Jacob said, sudden emotion thick in his voice, clutching the package under his arm like his life depended on it.

But when Joseph got close enough to make eye contact with his father, Jacob discarded the package instantly to run to the chariot, even as it clattered to a halt, the horses braying at the sudden jerk to a halt. Joseph had spared nothing to get there even a few seconds sooner.

Jacob was the patriarch of a small town’s worth of people. Joseph managed an entire world empire. Both of them were bawling without shame as they fell on each other, clutching tightly to their long lost family.

Turning away discreetly, and blinking back a few tears himself, Lapis picked up the bundle. He couldn’t help but peer at the package for a moment. He wasn’t sure if it was a bundle of cloth, or if it was something more valuable, wrapped in the cloth. But once he looked, Lapis had to look again.

He’d never seen a cloak woven of so many different colors.

Lapis brushed the sand away and set it aside, letting Joseph have all the time he needed with his father, reunited at last, safe in their new home.



~/*\~ Ellis ~/*\~

Ellis came home from his latest assignment, and found a familiar car parked out front of his house. He pulled into his driveway, and Debra stepped out of her car. He waved to her. “I should probably give you a key. Any place where Piper has access, you should too.”

You’d really be more comfortable if you came home and found me waiting inside?” She pointed out.

We lived that way for twenty years.” He countered. “What brings you by?”

I heard you had plans for the weekend. I hear it’s a big day for the… well, the ‘new and improved’ you.” She said quietly. “Piper told me all about it.”

I wanted to invite you along.” Ellis admitted. “Wasn’t sure you’d appreciate the offer. It’s a big deal, Debra. For a Witness, there’s your baptism, and your wedding day. Everything else is day-to-day life.” He shrugged. “I kinda messed one up already. Wasn’t sure if you wanted to know about the other.”

Six months ago, I would have thought it was manipulation, using ‘god’ to get me back in the room.” Debra admitted. “Every time I’ve ever read a ‘self help’ book, I stick with it for about a week, and then… Well, life happens. I wondered if you were doing the same thing after our separation.”

My faith isn’t an act I’m putting on to win you back.”

I believe you.” She nodded. “At least, I do now.”

And I know it’s not what you expected, marrying a Jehovah’s Witness-”

Ellis, I never cared what religion you were. My estranged husband has sworn himself to a life of honesty, integrity, and fidelity, with God as his judge. It’s every wife’s dream.” Debra drawled. “If it sticks.”

Sounds like a very important reason to see that it does.” Ellis agreed. “One of several.”

Debra’s face changed. “Well.” She said finally. “Just out of curiosity… If I did push for a proper divorce, what would your religion think of that?”

Divorce is very rare among Witnesses. Way below the average.” Ellis admitted. “But of course, you aren’t one, are you?” He spread his hands wide. “If you still wanted to, you’d be within your rights. But speaking for myself, I still hope to make it work.”

Debra rubbed her neck, feeling the tension. “Part of me wonders if we’d be better off as friends. The most ‘united’ we’ve been in the last year was when I called you about Piper. We didn’t even hesitate when it was our kid at risk.” She spread her hands wide. “If we can be better parents by not being together, isn’t that the right thing?”

I don’t think it’s ‘one or the other’. I think we were back in full sync that night because Piper was way more important than any fight we could have. Doesn’t necessarily mean we get on better because we’re living miles apart. That night was the first time we’d sought each other out at all.”

Yes, it was.” She agreed, nervous. “If I let you back in for… any other reason…”

A risk.” He nodded. “If you decide to see if I’m trustworthy at all, it means giving me a little trust again.” He took a breath. “Something I’ve learned in my studies is that there’s nothing you can do to force other people to be genuine. I can’t make you trust me, or love me, or take me back. All I can do is my half of this.”

You have changed.” Debra commented. “I think I like it. But… I don’t know if I trust it yet.” There was a moment of silence as she studied him. “I know I wasn’t the easiest person to be married to. I’m… hoping to be hopeful.”

Ellis smiled, just a little, eyes shining. “Well. It’s not nothing.”

She bit her lip. “Can I… am I allowed to come along?” She asked, gesturing at herself. “I know I’m not particularly holy. But if this is a big deal with your new faith, then… I know Piper is coming along. Is it okay if I only stay until your thing is done?”

All interested people are welcome.” He assured her. “I’d… I’d like you to be there.” He suddenly realized how long they’d been talking in his driveway and gestured at the house. “You want a cup of coffee?”

She nodded, and kept pace with him on the way up to the door. “Oh, by the way: Piper broke up with that Jock she was dating last week.”

Ha!” Ellis coughed out a delighted bark of laughter. “Prayers do get answered.”

She laughed. “Tell me about it. You ready for this? He didn’t like that she was getting religious.”

He froze, halfway up his front step and stared at her. “You’re kidding.”

I asked, apparently it was a bluff on her part.” Debra explained with a smile. “She wanted to drop him, but didn’t know how, so she started sharing scriptures she had learned, and he bolted.”

Ellis took that in, and burst into laughter as he unlocked the door.

Debra couldn’t help but do the same, but she fought it down. “Ohno, you don’t get to laugh at this. You’ve made things difficult enough with Gigi. She wants a ‘story’ every night now; and I don’t have that Bible stories book you read from. Piper pulled it up on the app, but Gigi wants the hardcopy, so she can see the pictures.”

Piper has the app?” Ellis grinned.

Apparently the JW music is good for doing homework.” Debra told him as they made their way to the kitchen. “Not only that, but she’s started her Christmas extortion early this year.”

How so?”

Debra sat at the counter while he started making coffee. “She’s pointed out that Christmas is a problem, because Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t observe the holiday. Apparently the only upside to a broken home is that you get extra presents from guilty ‘part time’ parents at birthdays and Christmas, and now you’re not celebrating either anymore; so I’ve gotta ‘step it up’.

I buy her guilt offerings all the time.” Ellis scorned, still amused. “Just not on those particular days.”

I know. She’s laying it on with a shovel.” Debra took the coffee cup from him, sipping. “When she found out my parents wanted to make a big deal over Christmas this year, thanks to our ‘sudden drop in income’, Piper went right to work. Apparently, it’s going to take something really extra-expensive to win her over about going to Christmas dinner, given what she now knows about the ‘Pagan Origins of the Holiday’.”

Ellis burst out laughing again.

She went on for ten minutes, showing my mom her research into why Christmas is a sham. Quoted everything from The Bible to Wikipedia. I’ve learned more about the origins of Santa Claus than I ever cared about.” Debra shook her head. “I’m half hoping she’ll push hard enough to get us uninvited. My first Christmas without you as a buffer between me and my parents? Eek.”

Ten minutes? She actually did the research? Prepared a whole speech?” Ellis was floored.

She had notes and visual aids. I don’t think it’s occurred to her that her grades are improving, and I’m scared to point it out.” Debra nodded with a big smile, which suddenly faltered, scanning around. “I just realized, I’ve never actually seen inside your new place.”

Mm. Would you like the tour?” He offered. “And while you’re here, I can give you a copy of that book Gigi likes.”

She was still smiling a little. “Actually, that would be nice.”





(If you're enjoying this book, and would like to support the Author; please do tell your friends, or purchase a copy of your own on Amazon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment